This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Error: "The on-access driver could not check device control for volume \Device\CdRom0."

I receive the following error in my Enterprise Console regarding one of my Win-7 desktops:

Date/time     Code     Description      
9/24/2012 3:52:40 PM     e03d0301     

The on-access driver could not check device control for volume \Device\CdRom0.     

The link to the error does not provide me with any information, just a patch update discussing some changes made to the error codes.

I believe this is related to the Anti-virus failing to scan the CD-ROM drive.  It seems to happen every time a Sophos policy update is pushed to (or pulled from) the desktop.  I am new to Sophos, so I am not sure if this is expected or not.  I could not find any references to this on the Internet or in this forum.

Has anyone got any advise on debugging this?  Is there another log that might provide a better explination?

:32877

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello TEWhite,

is the drive working correctly (I assume it does exist) and do you use Device Control? I'd say this is not "expected" unless something's not working properly.

Christian

:32899
  • Christian:

Thanks for the response.  Yes, we are using Device Control (Read-Only access) on the CDROM drive, and yes it worked correctly prior to installing Sophos.  I should also have mentioned that we are using Enterprise Console 5.1.0.1839 and the client that was distributed with it.

I inserted a CDROM drive this morning to confirm it was still working and cleared the error in the Enterprise Console.  I had to wait 3 minutes for the drive to be available in Explorer, but once it showed up I could copy files from it.   It seemed to act normally once it was mounted and available in Explorer.  I ejected the disk, and it again took 3 minutes to show up in Explorer.

After the CDROM was inserted once, I could do updates from the Enterprise Console and no errrors appeared (even when there was no CD in the drive).  I rebooted the PC near the end of the day, and the error message re-appeared.  Seems like that first read somehow gave it the necessary access to the device????

I installed a second machine today (a VBOX VM with Win7on it and no CDROM attached), and it gets the same error.  The only difference is the name of the device.

Thanks for the help...

:33039
  • Hello TEWhite,

this is definitely not normal. The only difference is the name of the device - which is in this case?

As you say the second machine didn't have a CDROM it's probably not related to a specific device and computer. If it were a general bug others would see it as well so I assume there's something in your configuration provoking the error. I suggest you contact Support as a closer inspection might be required.

Christian 

:33047