This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

web intelligence service runtime error

Hello, 

as of 17.08. most of my managed clients (1000+ workstations) crash with:

Event ID 26, Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program File...

Next message is about Sophos web intelligence service (swi_service.exe) crashing.

Service then recoveres, starts running normally until it crashes again on some clients every 10 minutes or so, 

on others it happens once or twice a day.

All appears to work OK but this is quite annoying to customers.

Sophos Anti-Virus 10.0.8
Detection engine 3.35.1
Detection data 4.81G
Virus data date 9/3/2012
Items detected 3991775
Detection identities 277
HIPS rules version 9.7.8
HIPS configuration version 1.0.4
Last updated 9/19/2012 9:01:36 AM

Any solution? (Rollback to previous version until this is solved by Sophos?)

Tnx, 

Filip

:29691

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Filip,

unlikely you will get an immediate resolution here. You should contact Support - most problems with swi should be ironed out by now and as it appears to have been introduced with the upgrade to 10.0.8 and affects the majority of your clients it's a good idea to make it "official".

Meanwhile you could try to roll back to 10.0.7 (might not even require a reboot) and see if it helps. Keep some clients at 10.0.8 though or at least use SDU to collect the logs.

Christian

:29697
  • Thanks for reply Christian,

I did contact support. Posted a problem here just to see if somebody else have a same problem.

99% of workstations have windows xp. Still researching if win7 stations are affected too.

Will downgrade at most affected locations.

Regards, 

Filip

:29701
  • I'm having the same issue.  Really starting to spread to more machines now.  Definitely a nuissance to staff.

I've tried to update Visual C++, but still had the issue come up.

Only thing that has stopped the error from coming up is setting the Sophos Web Intelligence service to a "manual" startup in services.msc.  Not entirely sure what security threat/issues could come up from doing that, but for now I just did it to see if it would stop the error.

Let me know if you got anything back from support or you figured anything out either.

:32771
  • Have you guys found a fix from Support ? 

We have the same issues with the 10.0.7 engine through the latest. Seems to be all Windows XP machines.   I have us locked down to the 10.0.6 engine.  

Thanks  

:34917
  • Hi,

Do you continue to get the same problem with 10.0.9 and 10.2.1? If so, I would recommend that you raise a case with support

Thanks

Andy

:35215