This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to Remove Sophos

Hello,

I work for a school district and today I encountered a problem with a Windows 7 professional computer running Sophos Antivirus, Remote Management System, and AutoUpdater.  Every time the computer would boot, a message would appear from ALMon.exe saying "error loading external resource".

Without doing any research, I (stupidly) decided it would be best to uninstall and re-install the software.  It was only after I began the procedure that I realized this computer was affected by SHH/Updater bug. 

I was able to un-install the anti-virus component, then the remote management system.  Then I tried to uninstall the autoupdater and I received an error message:

• Error 25010.An error occured while running the custom action 'NoUpdateInProgress'. Contact your support Personnel.

and then

• Error 25010. An error occured while running the custom action 'WaitUntilFileUnlocked'. Contact your support personnel.

I tried restarting the computer and when I did, the Sophos antivirus component reappeard in the Programs/Features list!

I am not able to unintall either of them now.  For the antivirus, the progress bar advances and then completely reverses itself and the installer quits.  For the autoupdater, the same error appears.  I am at a loss as to the next thing to try.  Any ideas?

:40223

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I suggest using the SHH/Updater removal script. It will cleanly remove Sophos AU from your machine so you can reinstall it. You can download it still from here:http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/118323.aspx

Matt

:40249
  • Are you a member of the SOPHOS Administrators group in your organization? I believe you need to be to uninstall. Also, I have had no luck using Windows Add/Remove Programs. I have been able to remove SOPHOS (all 3 components) using Revo Uninstaller. I use that in my organixzation when I have a problematic machine and need to remove and reinstall SOPHOS cleanly.

:40259
  • I was able to use the SHH/Updater removal script and it was successfully able to fix Sophos Autoupdate.  I then attempted to update Sophos and that failed.  I then re-ran the installer and that successfully installed the Remote Management system and attempted to install Sophos Antivirus, but the latter failed.  I checked in Programs and Features and see Antivirus is still listed there, but it must be broken because it does not show the Sophos logo next to it.  I try to uninstall it manually, but I get the error:

"The installed product does not match the installation source(s). Until a matching source is provided or the installed product and source are synchronized, this action cannot be performed."

It has a path to the folder C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\cache\savxp\ listed in the box.  A quick Google search did not help much.

:40313
  • Hello jstevens,

you could run the script successfully as outlined in Fixing Sophos AutoUpdate ...? Did not have to use it so I can't say where it might fail to repair the complete installation even though it doesn't detect an error. It might not be worth the effort to analyze the issue in detail. Instead I suggest you follow the advice in Troubleshooting and resolving problematic Sophos endpoint upgrade and uninstall issues and give the Microsoft Fix-It tool a try.

HTH

Christian 

:40319
  • Thanks, the fix-it tool allowed me to finish the re-install and Sophos is now working correctly.  I encountered another computer today that also had the SHH/Updater bug and this time I took care of it the correct way the first time around.

Jeff Stevens

:40343