This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot uninstall SAV Error 1721

Hi,

Please help.

I found this Article ID:117014 which described my issue perfectly but the fix does not work.  I still get error 1721.

Does anyone have any suggestions please.

Thanks

Brandan

:31929

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Brandan,

do you have the complete text of the message accompanying the 1721?

Christian

:32105
  • I have the same problem. Tried to uninstall. Didn't work. Managed to uninstall updater. Now SAV itself always refuses to uninstall with the dreaded Error 1721. What to do?

:33995
  • BTW I get a different error in the Sophos log file than described in Article ID:117014 [1]:

"MSI (s) (50:B8) [18:04:10:131]: Product: Sophos Anti-Virus -- Error 1721.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: UninstallDriverFiles64Vista, location: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\, command: E:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\NATIVE.EXE /lhu "E:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\SAVONACCESSDRIV.INF""

More info: I checked and "E:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\NATIVE.EXE" doesn't exist :-( Although there are plenty of other files and .exes in that folder.

What to do to get SAV off my box?

[1] http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/117014.aspx

:33997
  • Hello ScreenMop,

this program should be there on 64bit OSs. Dunno why it disappeared. If it is the only one missing it might suffice to copy it from the CID (if you still have access to it). Normally you'd also find it in the AutoUpdate cache - but this is gone.

The path on the CID is ...\SAVSCFXP\savxp\WinLH_IA64 or ...\SAVSCFXP\savxp\WinLH_AMD64 depending on your processor (but native.exe seems to be the same).

HTH

Christian

:34009
  • Thanks for the tip. So I found native.exe and copied it into place as follows:

E:\>dir native.exe /s/b
    E:\savw_97_sa\savxp\WinLH_AMD64\native.exe
    E:\savw_97_sa\savxp\WinLH_IA64\native.exe
    E:\savw_97_sa\savxp\WinXP_AMD64\native.exe
    E:\savw_97_sa\savxp\WinXP_IA64\native.exe

E:\>copy savw_97_sa\savxp\WinLH_AMD64\native.exe "\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus"\

1 file(s) copied.

Then I tried to uninstall again and get the new error 1722. Strangely, this time the uninstall log in c:\windows\temp\ doesn't get updated. The date modified doesn't change and there is no extra info about error 1722 inside the old log file.

Any ideas?

:34077
  • Hello ScreenMop,

somewhat strange that it did write a log before and now doesn't seem to (especially if you've performed the same procedure). if the error persists then apart from trying to locate the current log (in the user's temp for example) please make sure that the permissions on the copied file are correct.

Christian

:34173