This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to block Microsoft Office Sync (Microsoft Upload Center)?

The new version of Microsoft Office 2013 (and I am sure older versions have it as well) has a Microsoft Office Sync application that runs.  It runs in the systray as "Microsoft Upload Center".  I am sure this is used so users can upload files to SkyDrive and SharePoint Servers and such.

How would I go about controlling this application/service using Sophos Endpoint Security and Control?

The executable is "MSOSYNC.EXE" located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 15

This is on a Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system running Microsoft Office 2013 and using Sopho Enterprise Control 5.2.0.644 and Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 10.2.

Thanks!

:40161

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello taekwanleap,

correct, it's also in Office 2010 (dunno about earlier versions). As far as I understand it's an add-on (in Office 2010 it resides in the Tools subgroup) and blocking it won't disable the Save to Web option (please see for example disable upload center via OCT 2010 ). Dunno how Office will react if it is blocked (as opposed to disabled/removed though).

Anyway, to suggest it to Sophos you can use the Application Control Request form.

Christian

:40195
  • Thanks for the reply Christian.  Thanks for providing the link to remove/disable the Upload Center.  I found that link among others as well.

Not sure what Microsoft is even thinking on this but that will be as far as I go on "bashing" them.

Thanks for the Application Control Request form link.  I submitted a request so hopefully we can get it controlled via Sophos Endpoint Security and Control.

:40221