This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

MAL/FAKEAVHM-A IS in the heart of my computer

Hello,

My computer is infected by MAL/FAKEAVHM-A and cannot run executable program, go online on Firefox or IE. Cannot use office, no skype, nothing. the only thing I could do use my domain account and backup my data. BTW I have two users on my laptop. The domain member seems like ok but the admin user is infected..Please help me I do not want to reinstall my Windows at least for following couple months before I defend my dissertation.

Please help me I am fighting with time :(

:3726

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Fake-AV can be a real pain to recover from, but fortunately you've got a backup of your data now.  If your domain account is okay, are you able to log on, delete the current local user and then create a new one?  There are other ways to sort this out, but they usually take a lot of time and effort.  From the experience I've had with people bringing infected laptops in to me, it's always been a lot quicker just to kill the account.  Also, from a working account make sure you run a full system scan and remove any traces of FakeAV that are detected.

If you can't get into any account, there are a few methods to try but the easiest I've found is just to physically remove the HD and connect it via USB to a working machine.  From there you can remove the virus completely and get your laptop back up and running with minimal fuss.  You'll still need to recreate the user account after this, as it won't undo the damage caused to registry settings, etc...  As long as you have a backup of all your important data though, it should be fine.

For responses from other people (probably disagreeing with me :smileywink: ) have a look at this thread:

:3736
  • Hi,

You should probably reach out to support and ask them for SBAV (Sophos Bootable anti-virus). This will boot the system into a different OS and clean the malware, while it is dormant.

Shai Gelbaum

Product Manager

:3760