This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Manual Update Via Command Line/Script

Hello,

I have searched both the web and these forums for a way to kick off a manual update for Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 9.5 via a script or the command line.  I can right click on the Sophos tray icon and choose 'Update now' just fine, but need a script or command line to be able to manually force an update on a machine remotely.  Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

:12573

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hey Jak,

thanks again for the response.

I see what you are saying about the check for LastBoot. I can see why it might return a false claim that the system had actually been rebooted.

I like the idea of pushing a startup script out through AD. Currently though, our infrastructure is not supported by AD. We are a Samba/OpenLDAP domain so working with our client machines we sometimes have to get creative.

I took the script that you wrote (which worked perfectly I might add!!!!) and combined it with a small batch file.

@ECHO OFF
    FOR /F %%G IN (<path to text file containing IP>\ipaddr.txt) DO ( 
    copy /y <path to VBscript>\sophosUpdateFix.vbs \\%%G\c$\Windows\System32psexec \\%%G -u <username > C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe sophosUpdateFix.vbs
    del /F \\%%G\c$\Windows\System32\sophosUpdateFix.vbs
    :: pause
    )

I populated a txt file with the IP addresses of the affected machines.

I then copy the VBscript to the clients computer, then us PsExec to execute the VBscript on the clients machine.

Then follow up by deleting the VBscript off the clients machine.

I realize that this may not necessarily be the preferred way, or the most secure way of doing it, but given the number of machines that were causing issues I decided to go ahead with it and see if it would clear up the issues I was having.

It has successfully cleaned up all the machines that were reporting the error. 

Thank you again for your help, I am going to hang onto this in case I require it again in the future.

Cheers

:20955
  • Hey Jak,

thanks again for the response.

I see what you are saying about the check for LastBoot. I can see why it might return a false claim that the system had actually been rebooted.

I like the idea of pushing a startup script out through AD. Currently though, our infrastructure is not supported by AD. We are a Samba/OpenLDAP domain so working with our client machines we sometimes have to get creative.

I took the script that you wrote (which worked perfectly I might add!!!!) and combined it with a small batch file.

@ECHO OFF
    FOR /F %%G IN (<path to text file containing IP>\ipaddr.txt) DO ( 
    copy /y <path to VBscript>\sophosUpdateFix.vbs \\%%G\c$\Windows\System32psexec \\%%G -u <username > C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe sophosUpdateFix.vbs
    del /F \\%%G\c$\Windows\System32\sophosUpdateFix.vbs
    :: pause
    )

I populated a txt file with the IP addresses of the affected machines.

I then copy the VBscript to the clients computer, then us PsExec to execute the VBscript on the clients machine.

Then follow up by deleting the VBscript off the clients machine.

I realize that this may not necessarily be the preferred way, or the most secure way of doing it, but given the number of machines that were causing issues I decided to go ahead with it and see if it would clear up the issues I was having.

It has successfully cleaned up all the machines that were reporting the error. 

Thank you again for your help, I am going to hang onto this in case I require it again in the future.

Cheers

:20955
Children
No Data