This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Manual Update Via Command Line/Script

Hello,

I have searched both the web and these forums for a way to kick off a manual update for Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 9.5 via a script or the command line.  I can right click on the Sophos tray icon and choose 'Update now' just fine, but need a script or command line to be able to manually force an update on a machine remotely.  Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

:12573

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

If you take a look in the AutoUpdate trace logs (e.g. "\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Logs \ALUpdate[timestamp].log) you can see the line:
    -ScheduledUpdate -NoGUI -RootPath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\AutoUpdate"

to denote the start of a scheduled update and essentially the command line arguments being passed to Alupdate.exe.  The other being  -ManualUpdate for a forced update.

Also, if you run something like Process Explorer while kicking off an update, the AutoUpdate service (ALSvc.exe) calls Alupdate.exe with the following parameters:

"C:\Windows\TEMP\sophos_autoupdate1.dir\alupdate.exe" -ManualUpdate  -NoGUI -RootPath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\AutoUpdate"  

So Alupdate does take such a parameter, the problem might come however when Alupdate has to update iself if you're running the Alupdate.exe from the current install set as you suggest.  As AutoUpdate can update AutoUpdate, this is the reason why it copies the minimum set of files to "\Windows\TEMP\sophos_autoupdate1.di r\" and runs a copy from there.

For that reason I would suggest sticking with the VBS approach as this more closely mirrors what takes place.

Regads,

Jak 

:12855
  • Hi,

If you take a look in the AutoUpdate trace logs (e.g. "\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Logs \ALUpdate[timestamp].log) you can see the line:
    -ScheduledUpdate -NoGUI -RootPath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\AutoUpdate"

to denote the start of a scheduled update and essentially the command line arguments being passed to Alupdate.exe.  The other being  -ManualUpdate for a forced update.

Also, if you run something like Process Explorer while kicking off an update, the AutoUpdate service (ALSvc.exe) calls Alupdate.exe with the following parameters:

"C:\Windows\TEMP\sophos_autoupdate1.dir\alupdate.exe" -ManualUpdate  -NoGUI -RootPath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\AutoUpdate"  

So Alupdate does take such a parameter, the problem might come however when Alupdate has to update iself if you're running the Alupdate.exe from the current install set as you suggest.  As AutoUpdate can update AutoUpdate, this is the reason why it copies the minimum set of files to "\Windows\TEMP\sophos_autoupdate1.di r\" and runs a copy from there.

For that reason I would suggest sticking with the VBS approach as this more closely mirrors what takes place.

Regads,

Jak 

:12855
Children
No Data