This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Automatic Scan of removable media

Hi,

Is there a way of automatically scanning removable media when attached to a PC? We had an outbreak of conficker a few months back (don't want to go through that again!) and are still getting the odd memory stick attached by teachers that has conficker on. I'd be a lot happier if all memory sticks/USB hard drives were fully scanned each time they were attached!

I am also trying to educate staff to ensure their home PCs are fully protected!

edit - useful info.. We're running Enterprise console 4 and Endpoint security 9

Thanks,

Joe

:691

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • How about this as a suggestion. an option to force a background scan (With all the usual exception rules provision) on a drive if an "on access" detection occurrs.

This would cover the situation whereby someone has conficker or similar and Sophos only deletes the autorun.inf file without clearing the trojan files. Also it will not detain anyone who has not been proven to have an infection. and if they have an infection they can only expect us to insist the rest of the drive is scanned.

At the moment as soon as I get notified I have to phone the relevant user and  get them before they wander off to grab any and or all their USB devices in order to manually scan them.

Any good as an idea?

:756
  • How about this as a suggestion. an option to force a background scan (With all the usual exception rules provision) on a drive if an "on access" detection occurrs.

This would cover the situation whereby someone has conficker or similar and Sophos only deletes the autorun.inf file without clearing the trojan files. Also it will not detain anyone who has not been proven to have an infection. and if they have an infection they can only expect us to insist the rest of the drive is scanned.

At the moment as soon as I get notified I have to phone the relevant user and  get them before they wander off to grab any and or all their USB devices in order to manually scan them.

Any good as an idea?

:756
Children
No Data