This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Automatic Scan of removable media

Hi,

Is there a way of automatically scanning removable media when attached to a PC? We had an outbreak of conficker a few months back (don't want to go through that again!) and are still getting the odd memory stick attached by teachers that has conficker on. I'd be a lot happier if all memory sticks/USB hard drives were fully scanned each time they were attached!

I am also trying to educate staff to ensure their home PCs are fully protected!

edit - useful info.. We're running Enterprise console 4 and Endpoint security 9

Thanks,

Joe

:691

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

I work with John Stringer in Sophos product management, first time poster here,

Did some testing around this and noticed that the on-access scanner will pick up files in the removable drive root directory. This is triggered by the OS trying to identify the icons or other file properties as it opens the USB. It was able to catch a virus sample right away when I plugged the USB in without executing it. This was with the on-read setting enabled.

Sill looking at initiating a full scan, but this does provide some benefits by covering the root directory, figure I'd let people know.

Regards,

Shai

:1843
  • Hi,

I work with John Stringer in Sophos product management, first time poster here,

Did some testing around this and noticed that the on-access scanner will pick up files in the removable drive root directory. This is triggered by the OS trying to identify the icons or other file properties as it opens the USB. It was able to catch a virus sample right away when I plugged the USB in without executing it. This was with the on-read setting enabled.

Sill looking at initiating a full scan, but this does provide some benefits by covering the root directory, figure I'd let people know.

Regards,

Shai

:1843
Children
No Data