This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SophosSAU

Hi everyone,

We have SEC 4.5 installed on Windows Server 2008 x64.

The issue we have is that our audit software detects unsuccessful logins from few PC's in the network from the Local User SophosSAU*COMPUTERNAME*0 .

Can somebody explain why is this happening, why we do not get successful logins logs, what is the difference between SophosSAU*COMPUTERNAME*0 and SophosUpdateManager user.

Here is the log...

DOMAINNAME Network x.x.1.66 COMPUTERNAME 4625 failure

Message :an account failed to log on. subject: security id: s-1-0-0 account name: - account domain: - logon id: 0x0 logon type: 3 account for which logon failed: security id: s-1-0-0 account name: sophossauCOMPUTERNAME0 account domain: COMPUTERNAME failure information: failure reason: unknown user name or bad password. status: 0xc000006d sub status: 0xc0000064 process information: caller process id: 0x0 caller process name: - network information: workstation name: COMPUTERNAME source network address: x.x.1.66 source port: 52978 detailed authentication information: logon process: ntlmssp authentication package: ntlm transited services: - package name (ntlm only): - key length: 0 this event is generated when a logon request fails. it is generated on the computer where access was attempted. the subject fields indicate the account on the local system which requested the logon. this is most commonly a service such as the server service, or a local process such as winlogon.exe or services.exe. the logon type field indicates the kind of logon that was requested. the most common types are 2 (interactive) and 3 (network). the process information fields indicate which account and process on the system requested the logon. the network information fields indicate where a remote logon request originated. workstation name is not always available and may be left blank in some cases. the authentication information fields provide detailed information about this specific logon request. - transited services indicate which intermediate services have participated in this logon request. - package name indicates which sub-protocol was used among the ntlm protocols. - key length indicates the length of the generated session key. this will be 0 if no session key was requested.

Cheers,

Aleksandar

:6587

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Aleksandar,

the AutoUpdate service runs as LOCAL SYSTEM and therefore has no access to network resources. In order to download updates it must impersonate an account which does - this is the SophosSAU<COMPUTERNAME>0 user. Acting as this user AutoUpdate then accesses the CID using SophosUpdateManager (or whatever is specified in the policy).

Are you referring to errors on the server? Usually the download works regardless of this error.

Now I have never figured out why sometimes you get these errors on the server ... Could someone please explain? :smileyhappy:

Christian

:6687
  • Sorry, I know it's an old topic. But did you solved the problem? I have it with some Windows 7 clients since a year. It would be nice to prevent the numerous error logs.

The clients don't produce this errors daily.

I tried to delete the local user, deleted the sophos registry entries before reinstall. Nothing helped.

:22091
  • HI,

Is it this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811082

I.e. local account in a domain environment?

I guess if it was a real problem you could, maybe look to use a domain account, and pre-stage it for new installs as per:

http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/48910.html

Even if the machine went off line, it should still be able to use this account as a cached logon as long as it has logged on once.

I guess if depends on how big an issue it is.

Hope it's useful.

Regards,

Jak

:22103
  • Hi jak,

thank for your reply!

We don't use local accounts, but sometimes local profiles in the domain environment. Could this be a reason too?

I'll give this a try: http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/48910.html Hope it will fix the problem.

Regards,

Enzyme

:22107
  • Hello Enzyme,

I've never attempted to get to the bottom of the problem as it is a nuisance at best (one or two handful out of 3000+ clients). I have observed the following though:

• the events are logged on the server (2003 and 2008)
    • the error occurs in both AD and non-AD environments
    • Domain for the error is the client computer
    • the clients shows an error in the updating log (ALUpdate...)
    • for XP clients the error is usually 1222, for Win7 53 (both of rather general nature)
    • in the cases observed there's only one error in the update cycle (i.e. only one product is affected, for the others the connection and download  succeeds) and the client will eventually be up to date
    • only a few clients show this behaviour (estimated prevalence less than 1%)
    • for some clients it occurs in almost every update cycle, for others less often
    • the error does not depend on the SAV version
    • on a child SUM serving about 500 clients with only a few different HW/SW configurations which have been set up centrally there are no errors of this kind
    • at least 3 out of a set of 6 clients obviously derived from the same image show this behaviour

From this I assume that it is related to an obscure bug in Windows networking. Searching "the Internet" you'll find quite a number of similar problem reports, a number of Microsoft KB articles, many suggestions but IMO not a definite solution. While one would - from the fact that it is encountered on both XP and Win7 - assume that it is the application's fault, I don't think so.

Thus there might be nothing you could do about it (other than setting up the problem clients from scratch and even then it is not 100% sure it that it will help) - ruling out the problems mentioned in the Sophos knowledgebase articles. I've mulled over taking this to Support but I don't think that they'll be able to find something given the apparent nature of this problem. Anyway I'd be interested in any details you could give.

Christian

:22111
  • Hi,

sounds really hopless :(

I can approve this:

• Domain for the error is the client computer
    • the events are logged on the server (2003 and 2008)
    • the clients shows an error in the updating log (ALUpdate...)
    • only a few clients show this behaviour (estimated prevalence less than 1%)
    • for some clients it occurs in almost every update cycle, for others less often

Sometimes the clients show this error: Download from RMSNT from Server \\SERVERNAME\......\CIDs\S000\ESXP failed http://de.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/13378.html

I tried a reinstall with manually define a local sophos user. Now i have to wait for a new error.

Enzyme

:22115
  • Hi,

Bumping an old thread here, did anyone get to the bottom of this. I have a handful of clients displaying this condition on the Security Event log of our primary SEC server. The affected machines appears to be updating fine however. 

Any thoughts 5 years on?

Thanks

Peter

• Hello Peter,

no new insights. Affected machines apparently fail to download one of the products but usually update next time.

Christian

• Thanks. Spoke to tech Support today and they suggested SDU to get some log files to them-not sure what they will find with it as the initial diagnosis with the agent didn't fire anything obviously wrong or why it is doing it.