This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Supported versus compatible Linux distributions for Sophos Antivirus for Linux

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi,

I'm trying to determine if Sophos Antivirus for Linux will work on openSUSE or Fedora. The available documentation specifying system requirements label the list provided as 'supported distributions,' which only includes Red Hat and SUSE Enterprise. My understanding is that 'supported' translates to product support if you are a license holder of a subscription (e.g. Sophos can't help you if you installed the licensed product on Kali Linux or some other distribution) but I'm not sure if that is accurate.

Can someone confirm if my assumption is correct? Or does 'supported distribution' also mean the ones listed are the only distributions which Sophos Antivirus for Linux is compatible with and is guaranteed to run?

Thanks in advance.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello macOng7,

I'm neither Sophos nor a Linux expert, just my two cents.
    guaranteed to run implies compatible but they are not synonymous. The supported distributions have thoroughly been tested and compatibility will be maintained. This doesn't mean it's not compatible with other distros or versions (we have, e.g., a few installations on Fedora). It also doesn't mean, AFAIK, that you won't get any support at all. x86_64 is a definite requirement though and Talpa does not yet support kernels higher than 5.0. 

Christian

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to QC

Hi

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm currently trying out different Linux distributions at the moment so I can decide which one is for me, hence my question on openSUSE and Fedora.

You mentioned that you have a few installations on Fedora but Talpa does not support kernel level 5 and above. The latest version of Fedora is already at that kernel level, so I'm curious how your installation works on Fedora. Can you share how you are able to make the product work on Fedora if that's the case?

• Hello Hello macOng7,

Fedora 31 ships with kernel 5.3 which is not yet supported by Talpa (it does support 5.0). Can't say if you can use Fanotify instead (with the known limitations). Talpa should compile on Fedora 30 with kernel 5.0.

Christian

• FormerMember

Hi  

The configuration guide did mention Fanotify and labeled it as beta functionality. So there's a chance that even if it works, some features might not work properly.

I'll try it out on Fedora and openSUSE and go from there. Thank you for your inputs on this. Greatly appreciated.

• FormerMember

Hi  

The configuration guide did mention Fanotify and labeled it as beta functionality. So there's a chance that even if it works, some features might not work properly.

I'll try it out on Fedora and openSUSE and go from there. Thank you for your inputs on this. Greatly appreciated.

Children
No Data