This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

CID path does not exist on Sophos Enterprise Console Server

We are building a new separate network with a fresh install of Sophos. Sophos will be used to scan both Windows and Linux servers. I built Sophos Enterprise console on a Windows 2012 R2 VM. I also installed a stand-alone version of Sophos on a Linux server so I can create a deployment package. When I attempted to mount the CID listed in bootstrap locations, Linux couldn't find it. I can ping between both servers. When I went to the Windows server, I can't find the folder mentioned as the CID folder in bootstrap locations: \\SOPHOS\SophosUpdate\CIDS\S000\savlinux. There is nothing in the installation literature stating that we need to manually create this folder so I assumed it was created automatically as a part of the installation process.  

Do I need to manually create the CID folder? 

Appreciate any information or assistance I can get.  Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello ISSA_SESC,

guess you have the SAVSCFXP folder but not savlinux, right? Let's see ... I have a recently installed fresh SEC server, yep, by default only the Windows product is selected in a subscription. If you open the Recommended subscription in the Update Managers view - is the Linux product checked?

BTW: You don't want your Linux servers to be managed?

Christian

• Hi Christian,

Thanks for responding. I can't find either the SAVSCFXP folder or the savlinux folder. I checked the Recommended subscription in the Update Managers view and both Windows and Linux are checked. 

I'm not sure what you mean but not wanting my Linux servers to be managed? My understanding is that once the deployment package is created and an agent is installed on the Linux servers the Sophos Enterprise Console will scan and update the Linux servers for AV? 

Thanks!

• Hello ISSA_SESC,

the Update Managers view should tell whether SUM has downloaded and deployed the CIDs. The Last Updated column should show a date - or Never. In Configure update manager please check the tab Subscriptions if Recommended is indeed selected.

the deployment package
    built from the SA version installs the SA Linux Endpoint version, same as when you install from the CID but unmanaged. While the SEC/SUM can be configured as update location the Linux machines won't report to the console. Normally you'd run the install.sh from the savlinux CID on one Linux machine and subsequently build the thin installer package.

BTW: SEC never scans and updates its endpoints - it only provides the updates, and scanning is done on the endpoint by the Endpoint product.

Christian

• Hi Christian,

Thanks for all the assistance. Turns out we had some issues with the DNS on our end. Also, a tip for anyone else doing this, make sure the host name on your server is the final host name before you install Sophos on the Windows servers where the CID resides. The CID wants to hold on to the original host name in the bootstrap location. We ended up creating multiple deployment packages and finally got it working.  

Appreciate the help!

Thanks!

• This is also true for the management communication (RMS) if you're not using a static IP on the server.

If the management server is running DHCP, then the address the clients will reference the server by for management will be the old name. FQDN,NetBIOS. You can check mrinit.conf in the CID to confirm but I think that should be the case. 

If it's static IP, then IP will be first in the list and you wouldn't notice and there would be no issue until the IP was manually changed or it was configured to use DHCP.

Regards,
    Jak