This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to install Sophos Endpoint on 2012 R2 server - 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed

Hi,

We have a Server running 2012 R2 which developed a fault where Sophos was failing to update. 

Our Ops team decided to rip it out and install again but it fails to install with:

Product: Sophos Anti-Virus -- Error 1719.The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

I have ripped out all Sophos directories and registry entries (barring the multitude in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT) to no avail.

We can install software from other vendors so its not the installer service itself.

The MSI log that's generated has the following:

MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:08:832]: Doing action: MigrateFeatureStates
Action 15:07:08: MigrateFeatureStates. Migrating feature states from related applications
Action start 15:07:08: MigrateFeatureStates.
Action ended 15:07:08: MigrateFeatureStates. Return value 0.
MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:08:832]: Doing action: ExecuteAction
Action 15:07:08: ExecuteAction.
Action start 15:07:08: ExecuteAction.
MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:08:832]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its value is '1'.
MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:08:832]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:08:832]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:08:832]: Switching to server: CONFIG="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\Config\" INFECTED="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\INFECTED\" LOW="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\INFECTED\Low\" LOGS="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\logs\" SAFESTORE="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\Safestore\" TEMP="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\Temp\" CACHE="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\Cache\" LOGS1="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Data Control\logs\" LOGS2="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Device Control\logs\" LOGS3="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Tamper Protection\logs\" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\" INSTALLDIR_WIN32="C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\" INSTALLDIR_X64="C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\" INSTALLDIR_HOME="C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\" SOPHOS_ANTI_VIRUS="C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\" ALLUSERSPROFILE="C:\" TARGETDIR="C:\" USERPROFILE="C:\" RESOURCES="C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\" NEW_DIRECTORY3="C:\ProgramDa
MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:08:832]: Note: 1: 1719
MSI (c) (B8:A0) [15:07:08:848]: Font created. Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:09:981]: Product: Sophos Anti-Virus -- Error 1719.The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:09:981]: Back from server. Return value: 1601
MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:09:981]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:09:981]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its current value is '1'.
Action ended 15:07:09: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
Action ended 15:07:09: INSTALL. Return value 3.

The truncated 'NEW_DIRECTORY3="C:\ProgramDa' looks odd but other than that i can't see anything of any use.

Advice welcomed.

Geoff

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi  

It might be possible that other products which you have tried to install do not use Windows Installer Software Installation(MSI) package file and windows installer service(I might be wrong here) while Sophos uses MSI package file. The error described in the logs might occur due to installer files on your hard disk are missing or damaged. I believe this article should help you out.

Shweta

Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation@SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos! - Visit Sophos Techvids
  • Hekko Geoff,

to add to Shweta's reply:
    On a 64bit system there are two msiexec.exes, the 64bit version in %windir%\system32\ and the 32bit in %windir%\SysWOW64\. It's possible that one works but the other doesn't. SAVXP uses the 32bit version so reregistering it might help.
    %windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /unregister
    %windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /regserver

Christian

• Thanks Shweta,

I already found that article and followed the MS articles it points you at.

• Thanks Christian,

yeah i have already tried that to no avail.

i was hoping someone had seen this before with Sophos products.  Its probably not Sophos specific but was worth a punt.

Geoff

• Hello Geoff,

I have seen the 1719 with Sophos two times and in one of the cases the 32bit msiexec had to be reregistered. If the "standard procedure" doesn't help Process Monitor might give some additional information.

Which Endpoint version is it, BTW? Asking because the log you've posted contains lines unbeknownst to me for an install started by AutoUpdate:
    Action 15:07:08: ExecuteAction.
    Action start 15:07:08: ExecuteAction.
    MSI (c) (B8:68) [15:07:08:832]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its value is '1'.
    I think these should only be there when the Installer goes through a UI sequence (which it shouldn't be the case when called by AutoUpdate) - but I'm just guessing.

Christian

• Hi Christian

I was manually running the MSI so you are correct on the UI front.

Geoff

• Hi Christian

I was manually running the MSI so you are correct on the UI front.

I have already tried procmon, hoping to see an 'access denied' etc but nothing pops out in the output.

Will keep digging or rebuild...

Geoff