This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Excel xlms extensions being locked by Sophos Endpoint on saving

I am having an issue with Sophos Endpoint 10.8 which has appeared in the past few weeks.

We have multiple users and multiple files affected. Users editing Excel documents with macros (xlsm extensions) are finding when they go to save them, they will not save and a message appears saying they are locked. We think we have narrowed this down to Sophos Endpoint 10.8 by putting all these users computers into a separate group on Sophos Enterprise Console and disabling 'on access' scanning for xlsm files temporarily. When we did this the problem seemed to disappear. 

Any ideas why this might be happening?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Ali Graham,

no alerts, nothing under History when you view a computer's details in the console?
    Instead of disabling On-Access scan completely, does it work with on write or on rename turned off?

Christian

• QC said:

Hello Ali Graham,

no alerts, nothing under History when you view a computer's details in the console?
    Instead of disabling On-Access scan completely, does it work with on write or on rename turned off?

Christian

No, no alerts on the client machines at all. We only have check files on read enabled for on-access anyway

• Hello AliG,

hm, it just affects the macro enabled Excel, and any Excel saved as .xlsm or just certain ones? Can you narrow down the past few weeks? Engine 3.74.1 has been released for Recommended late Jan or so. Which Office version, BTW?
    Personally I'd use Process Monitor that might or might not help to find out what makes Office think the file is locked.

Christian

• QC said:

Hello AliG,

hm, it just affects the macro enabled Excel, and any Excel saved as .xlsm or just certain ones? Can you narrow down the past few weeks? Engine 3.74.1 has been released for Recommended late Jan or so. Which Office version, BTW?
    Personally I'd use Process Monitor that might or might not help to find out what makes Office think the file is locked.

Christian

It appears to be just xlsm files. It is affecting a number of users all using different xlsm files. The first reports we had were on the 28th Feb 2019. The users are on Office 2016 64bit

• Hello AliG,

I'm not aware of changes in Recommended around this time (and haven't heard of issues at our site).
    I think you should contact Support directly - turning off scanning or excluding .xlsm is not a permanent solution.

Christian

Reply Children
No Data