This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Endpoint security and control - manually download updates - Client not allowed on network - no other solution has worked

We have clients that are not allowed on the network, I have Sophos endpoint security and control 10.3 stand alone. I have installed this onto the Client, I now need to get updates to the Client. We don’t have Sophos on any Servers etc., I have downloaded the latest IDE pack from the Sophos download website. I attempted to put the IDE files into Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus, then changed the update details from ‘Sophos’ to Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus folder, along with restarting the anti-virus service, yet this has still not worked and shows as ‘updating: failed’ on the console.

Can you please help?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I have set up a client which is not and will never be on the network with standalone endpoint security and control installed – I have put on IDE files I downloaded off Sophos website (burnt onto cd and transferred onto the standalone client). It’s picking up the IDE version (5.17) but still says ‘updating: failed’ – is this correct, as it hasn’t/can’t updated from online or should this not be saying that? Are the IDE files enough?

Thanks.

• Hello curioussophos,

the latest IDE page states you must know [...] how to use virus identity (IDE) files. IIRC there used to be a link to a corresponding article (basically it told you that you should put the IDEs in the AV folder and restart the service) but anyway, the IDEs (and the Anti-Virus folder) can't be used for updating with the AutoUpdate component.
    Please see the recent internet isolated installation - manually updating thread for further information.

Christian

• That thread is based on being able to get the updates/SAV folder from another machine, I am unable to do this. Thanks. The IDE's show as 5.17 in the console, does that mean it has successfully worked/is up to date?
  • Hello curioussophos,

[not] being able to get the updates/SAV folder from another machine
    so you have a license and use it just for off-net machines (that'd be -no offence meant- sort of weird)? In this case you should regularly (every three months or so) update the installation. Check if a newer version is available on the downloads page (please note that the page doesn't show the details, so see the Release Notes) and install it over the existing installation. 

IDE's show as 5.17
    It's not the IDEs but the VDL (AKA Detection data in View product information->Anti-Virus and HIPS->Software), basically a library of instructions and consolidated IDEs for the scanning engine. You have to use the IDEs package corresponding to this version. The VDL version does not change when you add IDEs, you have to update the product to get a more recent VDL. The number of IDEs used is shown as Detection identities and should be the number from the downloads page (right now 846 for VDL5.17). 

Christian