This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mac running with non-standard permissions....your Mac may be insecure

Hello,

Just got a pop up from Sophos Endpoint saying:" Please contact your system administrator.  (I don't have one). Your Mac is running with non-standard permissions on key directories and your Mac may be insecure.  Reference knowledge base article # 131959.

Can anyone please explain this to me?  What should I do?

Many thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi, I am not-so-computer savvy, but I am very willing to correct issues on my own when given clear instructions. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with anything to fix this? 'tis the season for online payments, but I am afraid to buy anything online because I don't know if this is a serious threat, or just some kind of "quirk," meaning the message will keep popping up, but I have nothing to actually worry about. 

PLEASE ADVISE!! THANK YOU. 

• Tracey P said:

Hi, I am not-so-computer savvy, but I am very willing to correct issues on my own when given clear instructions. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with anything to fix this? 'tis the season for online payments, but I am afraid to buy anything online because I don't know if this is a serious threat, or just some kind of "quirk," meaning the message will keep popping up, but I have nothing to actually worry about. 

Hi,

I too have this same message on my Mac (El Capitan) & see that several others have reported the same problem.

Do Sophos monitor these discussions?  It would appear not or they might have responded & tried to explain what the message means & put our minds at ease.

In my experience, all contact with help desks & computer geeks is very confusing, because they seem to not understand that, those seeking assistance may not have the same depth of computer knowledge that they have & use terminology which is not helpful to a computer illiterate such as me.

I want to check my on-line bank account but don't know from the Sophos message whether it is safe to log on.

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

• Tracey P said:

Hi, I am not-so-computer savvy, but I am very willing to correct issues on my own when given clear instructions. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with anything to fix this? 'tis the season for online payments, but I am afraid to buy anything online because I don't know if this is a serious threat, or just some kind of "quirk," meaning the message will keep popping up, but I have nothing to actually worry about. 

Hi,

I too have this same message on my Mac (El Capitan) & see that several others have reported the same problem.

Do Sophos monitor these discussions?  It would appear not or they might have responded & tried to explain what the message means & put our minds at ease.

In my experience, all contact with help desks & computer geeks is very confusing, because they seem to not understand that, those seeking assistance may not have the same depth of computer knowledge that they have & use terminology which is not helpful to a computer illiterate such as me.

I want to check my on-line bank account but don't know from the Sophos message whether it is safe to log on.

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Children
No Data