This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Device control - Exception not working

Hello, 

Can somebody offer some advise with an issue i'm having allowing a USB device? I've been through Sophos support who are saying it's a driver issue which I'm not convinced by.

I have a Verbatim Secure USB stick which has been added to the device control exception list, when I plug the stick in the devices shows in my computer but launching the SecureDataUSBDrive.exe to unlock the drive it just says device not found, Stopping the Sophos device control service or plugging the device into a machine with no Device control policy it works fine.

I've enabled Debugging for device control which is reporting the following 

20181005 084841 Device control failed to enable device: deviceId=USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_VERBATIM&PROD_SECURE_DATA_USB&REV_PMAP\070007012745D0B25A65&0, errorCode=-5.

20181009 124607 Debug: (thread=0x2eec) DeviceControlUtils::GetDeviceStatus, Following CM_Get_DevNode_Status_Ex, failed path to get device status (File: DeviceControlUtils.cpp, Line: 185)
20181009 124607 Debug: (thread=0x2a34) StorageControl::CachedConfig::GetDeviceControlConfigData (File: StorageControl.cpp, Line: 851)
20181009 124607 Debug: (thread=0x2eec) ConfigFlagsReader::IsDeviceEnabled, IsDeviceEnabled: true (File: c:\Build\ifaces\internal\DeviceControl/ConfigFlagsReader.h, Line: 76)
20181009 124607 Debug: (thread=0x2a34) DeviceControlUtils::GetClassInstanceForPdoName, Unable to find deviceInstanceId, Failed:0x80070103 (File: DeviceControlUtils.cpp, Line: 946)
20181009 124607 Debug: (thread=0x2eec) DeviceControlUtils::GetDeviceStatus, CM_Get_DevNode_Status_Ex: 0x00000013 (File: DeviceControlUtils.cpp, Line: 182)
20181009 124607 Debug: (thread=0x2a34) GetControlledDeviceInfoForVolume failed, rootPath=\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\000000c7, deviceInstanceID= (File: StorageControl.cpp, Line: 464)
20181009 124607 Debug: (thread=0x2eec) DeviceControlUtils::GetDeviceStatus, Following CM_Get_DevNode_Status_Ex, failed path to get device status (File: DeviceControlUtils.cpp, Line: 185)

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks 

Tom

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Tom,

not that I can be of much help here as Support has already looked into it and I'm not using these Verbatim sticks.
    To clarify: You are blocking both Removable Storage and Secure Removable Storage and have exempted the stick in response to a blocked event? Which of the two types is it from the POV of DevCtrl - Secure or not? And does it appear as one drive or two?

Christian

• Hi, 

We are blocking removable storage only and the stick has been exempted from the event, the device shows as 2 drives and appears as a none secure drive.

Many Thanks

Tom

• Hello Tom,

the advantage of the Secure Removable type is that you don't have to exempt the (supported) devices of this type individually. Supported also means that it's known that DC can correctly identify and handle these devices. An older thread suggests that individual exemptions of regular Removable devices generally works.

Apparently these Verbatims are neither supported as Secure nor can Device Control's standard processing successfully handle them. It seems that these Verbatims need special processing. Can't say what is necessary for devices to be elected for support as Secure ones.
    Maybe can suggest a viable course of action.

Christian

• Hey  

Please PM me with your support case number so that I can follow up with your request for this.

Thanks!

Florentino
    Director, Global Community & Digital Support

Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation@SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question, please use the 'Verify Answer' button.
    The Award-winning Home of Sophos Support Videos! - Visit Sophos Techvids
Reply Children
No Data