This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

August 23rd Sophos Update Causes: 32-bit Outlook 2013, Internet Explorer, FireFox to not open in Windows 10

The subject sums it up.  Since yesterday's update, we noticing a consistent trend in our environment.  Computers running Windows 10 are having issues opening Outlook 2013, IE and FF to not open after a Sophos update yesterday morning around 10:30 AM (EST.)

In the event viewer, checked why the applications are failing to open and it shows APPHANG, faulting module: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\sophos_detoured.dll

The work-around has been to cut/paste both sophos_detoured.dll and sophos_detoured_x64.dll out of that folder. As soon as we do that the applications launch.  This only started happening August 23rd morning.

Anyone have experience with this so far?  I would have expected to see this on the forums already.

Thanks,

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I have experience IE (11.611.16299.0), Thunderbird (52.8.0 and 52.9.1), and Firefox (61.0.2) failing on W10-1709 with the sophos_detoured_x64.dll being the faulting module.  Tried re-installing Sophos and Thunderbird.

I uninstalled Sophos Anti-Virus (10.8.2.311), AutoUpdate (5.14.36), Endpoint Defense (1.0.7.2), Network Threat Protection (1.2.2.50), Remote Management (4.1.1) & System Protection 1.3.1.  Disabling the services and startup did not fix the issue.  All of the broken applications are working again.

Our server is running 5.4.1.

The date of the .dll is from August 23rd.  Only one of our systems is having this issue, but not all the systems have rebooted from the last update.  Hope there is a fix before we have to uninstall Sophos on all the systems.

• Hey John,

Thanks for replying and confirming this issue is not just happening in our environment. 

I've found a work-around which is to move or re-name the sophos_detoured.dll & sophos_detoured_x64.dll in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\ folder.

From what I've ready those dll files contribute to buffer overflow protection, so moving/renaming those dll's is not what I like to see as a permanent fix especially when there are massive amounts of systems that have this problem.

• All,

We have created an article regarding this issue.

Please find it here.

Regards,

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi,

I have re-installed Sophos this week to Sophos Anti-Virus 10.8.2.334 and all applications that were crashing are working now.

Best Wishes

john

Reply Children
No Data