This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

iconn.cfg Personnalize WorkGroup and Full Computer Name

Hi,

Could we personnalize WorkGroup and Full Computer Name in file : iconn.cfg to force it ?

We've several computer on our network (on 2 subnet) which have the same FullComputerName & WorkGroup and the console overwrite them.

Thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • To be clear, can you provide an example of what you have and what you want in iconn.cfg, change any identifiable info as you see fit.

Regards,
    Jak

• Hi,

I've this computer :

COMPUTER NAME / WORKGROUP

POSTE1  / SCHMIDT on 192.168.10.105

and 

POSTE1 / SCHMIDT on 192.168.1.105

Sophos Console see only ONE computer : sometimes 192.168.10.105, sometimes 192.168.1.105,

because computer have the same NAME and same WORKGROUP.

I vould like to know if we can FORCE : COMPUTER FULL NAME and WORKGROUP with the file iconn.cfg ?

Thanks !

• Thanks for the clarification.  It's nothing to do with iconn.cfg, that is the config file of AutoUpdate.

It's my understanding that this should be OK as the RMS Address should be different and this is what the management server considers when addressing the computers for message delivery and knowing when a computer is an existing record or a new one. 

When a computer first become managed it gets a token (unique number by the Certification Manager).  This then forms part of the RMS address to give the computer a unique name. E.g.

Router$machine1:33455

Where 33455 is the token in this case. So you could have 2 computers called machine1 but they should have different tokens and therefore unique RMS addresses.

Of course if you install the software and take an image and deploy the image to multiple computers.  Even if you rename the computer you have the same RMS addresses unless you re-initialise RMS on the client to get a new token.certificates.  This re-initilalising the client is used this this vbscript - https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/116737

If you want, you can choose a name for a computer at install time by passing switches to setup.exe.
    See: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/12570 -compname, -compdesc -domain.

You can also set this after the computer is protected by setting the registry keys that setup.exe writes and are then read and deleted by the Sophos Agent service when it starts up
    Set key, restart Sophos Agent service.

I would first check if the computers just have the same RMS address.  RMS Router log on the client under \programdata\ will do.
    If so, re-initialise one maybe using the VBS Script mentioned above.

Worse case set the name manually using the setup.exe switch or using the registry value I don't just have to hand. 

Regards,
    Jak

• Hi Jak,

This was exactly what I needed

-compname, -compdesc -domain works

Franck