This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Error 1721 when I try to remove sophos endpoint protection

Hi,

I tried to remove sophos from a virtual server. I removed some components manually but I have still "zombi" sophos parts.

On the windows "programs and features" if I try to remove "sophos anti-virus" I get an 1721 error.

Can you help me please?

Thanks 

Regards

FM

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi FayeMüller,

Please try the following steps and let me know if that helps.

1. Open Regedit.
      2. Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
      3. Search just the Uninstall key for: Sophos Anti-Virus. This should find the Sophos Anti-Virus key.
      4. Find a machine on which the same version of Sophos Anti-Virus is installed and traverse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus.
      5. Copy paste the following files from the above folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\ on the problematic machine:
        • NATIVE.EXE
        • SAVONACCESSDRIV.INF
        • SOPHOSBOOTDRIVER.INF

Note: If the uninstall/install fails on any other .INF, paste them across as well.

6. Run the uninstallation/upgrade/migration as normal and it should now succeed.

For more details please refer the KBA Error 1721 returned when installing, upgrading or uninstalling Sophos Anti-Virus.

Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hello Guys,

I am struggling with a 1721 error on an older machine with a long gone version stuck on it. However, no other machines have this version on my network, so where can I copy the files from?

Is there another way to uninstall this old version? It is 10.7.2.49 :S

Thanks,

DanZi

• Hello DanZi,

depends on why this machine is still on 10.7.2 (and its Windows version).
    If AutoUpdate has not yet been uninstalled the necessary files should be in its cache (normally the exact version is not critical for an uninstall but I haven't tried with the 10.8.x files on a 10.7.2 install - this isn't an XP machine, is it?).

Christian

• Hi Christian,

No, it was a 2012 server. No idea how it got stuck there. But I managed to fix in with my usual manual 

- uninstall all components that could be uninstalled via add-remove programs

- reboot, delete remaining services with sc command

- remove registry entries for Uninstall 

- delete Program Files\Sophos folder, Program Files (x86)\Sophos and ProgramData\Sophos

- reboot again

Install to new version went through fine after.

• Hello DanZi,

how it got stuck
    happens from time to time. Won't blame the Windows Installer due to lack of conclusive evidence but well, there aren't many suspects. Anyway, restoring the mentioned files resolved the problem in all cases I've encountered - without resorting to hit-or-miss methods, and no interruption of operation.

Christian

• Hello DanZi,

how it got stuck
    happens from time to time. Won't blame the Windows Installer due to lack of conclusive evidence but well, there aren't many suspects. Anyway, restoring the mentioned files resolved the problem in all cases I've encountered - without resorting to hit-or-miss methods, and no interruption of operation.

Christian

Children
No Data