This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Latest Mac installer failing

After downloading the latest installer for Mac (v1.1.1) I am unable to get it to work.  I've followed the instructions to add executable attribute to the appropriate files, but the install fails by both command line and gui.  I'm also not getting any output in the log file /var/log/install.log.  Thanks for any help!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Joe, 

Please check the pre-requisites, If there are no logs in the Install.log related to sophos then the installation had not been initiated.  Please check your network firewall and internet connection 

Regards,

Aditya Patel
    Global Escalation Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Thanks for the reply.

The only requirements I'm finding are here.  So, for Mac systems...

• Supported Desktops and Laptops:  Mac OS X 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13
    • Disk Space:  2 GB
    • Memory:  2 GB
    • Cores:  n/a

Firewall on the local computer is disabled and internet connection is OK.  Are there other prerequisites?

• Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Sorry for not posting this earlier...

I got in contact by phone with Sophos support and learned that our DeployStudio imaging system had caused the root problem which then caused the issue I saw with our Sophos installer.

Our DeployStudio imaging system (v1.7.6) has a known issue where it changes the permissions on the /Library folder from the expected "root:wheel 755" to "root:admin 775" and then does not change them back after.  The latest Sophos installer checks permissions on a collection of folders, one of which is /Library, and since the ownership & permissions are not what they should be the installer halts.

It is possible to fix the problem on those Macs using a simple script in DeployStudio.  The difficulty is that you must netboot to the DS imaging system to run the script due to SIP protecting the /Library directory while booted live.  In my case I also had to run the Startup Disk utility after running the script to confirm that the startup disk was selected correctly prior to rebooting.  It appears that you can also add this simple script to the end of your DS imaging workflows (not postponed) to alleviate the problem while we wait for the next version of DeployStudio which will have the problem fixed.

Discussion on DeployStudio forums