This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

internal error 2738

Hello,

I try to install Sophos Anti-Virus 9.5 standalone on a Windows 7 pro 32 bit computer and I get internal error 2738 while it's installing Sophos AutoUpdate. I've tried solutions from

http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/42914.html and

but they didn't work.

BTW: I can install Sophos Anti-Virus 7.x standalone on this machine without any problem.

Could someone help please?

Thanks.

Regards,

:9113

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,
    It's odd that re re-registering vbscript.dll didn't help as the error code is very specific to the VBSctipt runtime.
    When you did all of this:
    ==
    Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click on Command Prompt, select 'Run as administrator'.

You should be in directory C:\Windows\System32

Type:
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll (enter)
    == 
    Did it say that the dll was registered ok?
    If you create a basic vbscript, e.g
    1. Open Notepad.
    2. Into it type:
    msgbox "vbscript seems ok"
    3. Save a "test.vbs"
    4. Run "test.vbs", it should pop up a dialog, does that work?
    Otherwise, can you post the MSI log of AutoUpdate?
    Thanks,
    Jak
    :9133
  • Hi Jak,

Thanks for your reply. It's strange to me, too. It did say the dll was registered ok, both vbscript.dll and jscript.dll. Also the log is as same as article 42914. There was MACfee installed on this computer before.It's been uninstalled but I found there are three  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\ , one is related to MACfee and another two are related to vbscript.dll. I deleted two of them and try to install Sophos AV9.5 but it still get internal error 2738. 

:9157
  • Did the test VBScript run?

Thanks,

Jak

:9167
  • Jak,

I've run the test.vbs and it seems ok too.

:9195
  • In that case do you have the MSI log with the error, the name of the Custom Action might help to understand what it's doing when it fails.

If it's beyond the 20000 character limit, if you search from the bottom up of the log for the text:

return value 3

then paste the 20 lines above.  Please check that there isn't more than one return value 3, if there is, maybe post both sections.

Thanks,

Jak

:9219