This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows Live Messenger - msmsgs.exe Blocked On Login

Today I came in to see that Sophos started blocking Windows Live Messenger or C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe whenever someone would log into a machine. We had about 10 alerts before I quickly set it as an Approved application to avoid everyone getting the Application Control popup on login.

It seems strange that this has been blocked since we've installed Sophos, yet it gets blocked today for the first time.

We are only scanning for Applicaitons On-Access and the alerts are appearing during login. Is there a way to avoid this in the future or will we just have to keep Live Messenger as Approved for now? 

:10667

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello mbjoe,

do you block all Instant messaging type applications? And - should Live Messenger be blocked and has Sophos blocked it in the past when a user attempted to start it? If so, then something has changed so that it is now accessed at login. 

Christian 

:10677
  • Yes, we block all instant messaging applications. It has never alerted us of blocking it in the past and just started this morning.

I've checked event viewer and nothing has seemed to have changed with the messanger application.

:10679
  • If it has not alerted you in the past it could be that it hasn't be identified or identified the same way as it is now. Support should be able to tell you this if you tell them the version (or send it as a sample).

If this doesn't shed any light on the issue I'd suggest using Sysinternal's autoruns to check whether it is explicitely started. Another option is Process Monitor.

Christian

:10681
  • I have an email here from Sophos saying they will never block this application! Very odd.

:10691