This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How can I make Apple Mac recipients to be able to print SPX encrypted messages

I have a problem with Apple Mac recipients printing SPX encrypted messages.

The system requests password when they try to print but doesn't print, rather it continues to prompt for password.

I'm really surprised that I'm the first person to notice this, or is there an existing resolution for this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Just to shed more light on this issue, after troubleshooting with a control experiment using another encrypted pdf i made manually using Acrobat Pro, the following are my observations.

1. Sophos SPX create BOTH "Document Open Password" and "Permission Password". however PDF doesn't allow both Document Open and Permission password to be SAME, therefore I believe Sophos must have found a way around this by creating a second password which is NOT transmitted to the recipient.

2. This wouldn't have been a problem as Windows PC is able to print these encrypted documents without a problem, however my guess is that when Apple Mac tries to print, the first thing it does is to check "Permissions" to see if the document is "Print Protected". This is why it asks for the "Permissions Password" and ofcourse the user doesn't have this, hence the problem.

The solution to this as I see it is for the SPX module developers to NOT include Permission Password in the Encryption, or alternatively do this with a default/preset (NOT randomly generated) password and give us so we can make it available to Apple Mac recipients.