This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Email appliance acting as smart host only

Hi,

I want to set up a Sophos email appliance as a smart host only accepting mails from specific IP ranges for relaying onto another external smarthost.  It will be doing AV only, but won't be receiving inbound email for users.

I know it is overkill for the appliance, but the appliance has a small virtual footprint and a good GUI for configuration etc, which makes management easier than setting up a Linux box for the same purpose.

Is it possible to configure this?  If I start a new virtual appliance, can I just skip adding local domains in the wizard?

The story behind this is we are moving to Office365 and want to continue having an internal relay server for internal applications and websites.

Thanks.

Andrew.

:55505

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello,

To configure the email appliance as a smart host forwarding mails outbound to another server :

Configure internal mail hosts, these are hosts approved to send mail from your organization - configuration > routing > internal mail hosts.

Under configuration > policy > Additional policies, create an outbound rule with Hostname/IP address list and as a main action use ‘re-route to another server’ , then enter the server IP.

For using email appliance with office365, refer http://internalit.ca/blog/post/filtering-office-365-email-through-a-sophos-utm-guide this link is for Sophos UTM however the process would be extremely similar for the email appliance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Aiman Ansari | Network & Security Engineer