This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SEA licensing- Confuse

Currently POC on SEA. All inbound mail flow through SEA for scanning of Antispam, viruses, sandstorm. Then, it relay/forward to Internal Lotus Email Server. There is no Directory integration of AD/ Notes server with SEA. Occasionally, with few manual user account added in SEA in order for end user to release quarantine item. Outoing email is merely simply where mail server directly SEND out WITHOUT going through SEA.

With this environment. What license should i purchase? Per maibox/ per user? I dont even have users account in SEA, but SEA works perfectly for this POC for scanning blocking spam. Please advice, thanks !

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • There may be a little confusion.

Licensing is based on the physical number of people, not the number of mail boxes.. so if you have 2000 people and 10000 mail boxes it would be based on 2000 users.

as for other infrastructure in the mix that does not matter in terms of licensing, hardware appliances also comes with a VM license for ESXI .. In that respect if it takes 1 VM to accomplish your mail flow needs, great.. If you need 5 or 6 vm's knock yourself out (I believe there is a limit of 10 per activation code, if you need more than that talk to your account manager)

• Hi!

Follow up question, what is the basic / standard licensing comes with? Is there something  advance features or add-on modules like in the Sophos XG?

Thanks!

Mar

• Im not 100% sure as Im not in sales but..

Standard includes av/as

Sandstorm is additional

I believe spx encryption is a little extra as well ( but i think that is apart of the normal subscription now)

The sea offers a lot more flexibility, policy and routing and industrial feature set.. imo the utm and xg are great options for small business but would not keep up with industrial email performance like a sea or pure message..

Just depends on your needs and what you like.. from my own experience once people get into a dedicated appliance like the sea there is no turning back

• Hi!

what we are looking for.. as you said is a type of Industrial Email Appliance. Since I don't have a clear information what comes with the basic license and add-on's, we could not confirm clients inquiry such as..

Anti-Virus
    Anti-Spam

Anti-Spearphishing

Sandboxing

Anti-Malware
    Anti-Ransomeware

Data Loss / Data Leak

In your personal opinion, are you going to offer all the above features in one license?

Thanks! 

• Hi!

what we are looking for.. as you said is a type of Industrial Email Appliance. Since I don't have a clear information what comes with the basic license and add-on's, we could not confirm clients inquiry such as..

Anti-Virus
    Anti-Spam

Anti-Spearphishing

Sandboxing

Anti-Malware
    Anti-Ransomeware

Data Loss / Data Leak

In your personal opinion, are you going to offer all the above features in one license?

Thanks! 

Children
  • Everything listed is protected against via the standard SAV scanner (Sophos anti-virus). .. except sandbox is slightly different

The rules are maintained by the labs team and pushed out to all clients that use sav as a scanner.

All of those types of malicious files are transparently detected via a comprehensive “genotype” set ..

In the case of spam it could be something like .. is this a known spam campaign, or does x word and y word appear.  Number of spaces ..  or is this a known phishing ip or bad actor ip etc

In the world of sav its a binary yes or no answer.. if its malicious its stopped, if not its passes

Sandstorm (sandboxing) works with the sav scanner and allows sav to go from a binary answer to .. yes .. no .. or maybe..

Things that scan as “maybe” would be sent for sandboxing / detonation..

With the email appliance you could add a portion of the rule to add %%hits%% as a banner .. this will append all of the rule hits as a banner..

Just search for %% in the help and you will see a complete list .. any of those can be appended to emails..

The other feature the appliance has is called time of click.. this in short rewrites valid urls so that when a user clicks the link the request is proxied through the appliance.. this allows known cnc or bad ips can be blocked..

This level of protection is only available with the sea.. if this reflects your expectations would be the best choice..

Hope that helps

Cheers