This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Question regarding clustering

1st question is Can you cluster a HARDWARE appliance with a Virtual appliance?  If so, is this a good way to "SYNC" configuration so that there isn't a lot of manual configuration?

2nd question is How many appliances can be clustered together in one cluster?  Any information is greatly appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Chris,

Absolutely you can cluster any combination of virtual and hardware appliances.

The best way to create your cluster:

Setup 1 appliance first, configure it with all of the vitals.. create all of your policy / rules and get it running.

Then deploy your VM or hook up your hardware.

complete the set up wizard in particular networking info  (halfway through it will ask you to join a cluster, select no)

once the wizard is completed and the applaince has been fully upgraded and rebooted as necessary..

log directly into the new appliance : https://192.168.13:18080

under configuration / system / clustering select cluster

enter in the ip of the original member you created.

This process will confirm your original deployed applaince as the cluster master and turn your first clustered member (and all subsequent) members into secondary appliances. 

once your cluster contains the master and 1 member, your all good to go. Just repeat the process with each additional member.  

Note

there is absolutely NO manual configuration required, members will simply suck down the cluster masters configuration, the entire cluster will RSYNC the configuration between all members (so you can make a change on any member and the entire cluster will update automatically) 

DR:

In the event a member dies or needs to be replaced, create the new vm give it a temporary hostname and ip.  Join it to the cluster.   Remove the dead appliance from the cluster, power it down.. Then log into the new applaince and assume the ip and hostname of the ejected member.

Max number of members,

The recommended max is 10 appliances,  I have seen a cluster of 52 appliances.    I'm not sure there is a max..  but in theory you will need enough network bandwidth for them all to communicate with.   Most people are happy with 2-6 appliances and never have any issues.

• Red Warrior thanks for your quick and detailed response.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  One more question, if I currently have a cluster setup with 2 HARDWARE appliances, can I just add any new Virtual Appliances to this cluster in the same manner you stated?

• Yes, the cluster can have any number/combination of VM vs hardware. 

Reply Children
No Data