This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Adding different footers in HTML and Text parts of outgoing messages

Hello, pleased to join this community.

I am currently evaluating SEA virtual appliance v4.2.0.2.

Our company policy requires that a footer should be added to every outgoing message, regardless of its type (Text, HTML, with or without attachments, etc), excluding selected senders/recipients. Under Additional Policy -> Add Banner I can add a custom footer to outgoing messages with sender/recipient exclusion, but there is no way to specify different footers for the text part and the HTML part of the message. The documentation explicitly states that the footer text specified in the policy definition is added both to the text part and the HTML part of the message, but I need two different footers: a text-only footer for the text part and a HTML footer with HTML formatting for the HTML part of the message.

I tried to bypass this limitation defining two different policies, one containing a text-only banner to be added to text-only messages, and one containing a HTML banner to be added to messages containing a HTML part. This is not the optimal solution, since almost all outgoing messages are multipart so they require both types of banner, but I can accept the limitation that the Text banner is added only to all-text messages and the HTML banner is added to both the HTML and the Text part in all other kind of messages. After all, if a message has both text and HTML parts, almost all existing clients ignore the text part while rendering the message, so the presence of the HTML code in the text part is not a real issue.

But the problem is that there is no way to correctly distinguish a text-only message from a message containing also a HTML part in all cases. I tried to check the Content-Type header, identifying a text-only message if its content type is text/plain, but there are common situations in which this is not true. For example, a message containing one or more attachments always has the first Content-Type header as multipart/mixed, no matter if the message is text-only or HTML. In such case, checking the first Content-Type header is not enough to correctly identify which policy is to be fired and consequently which type of footer is to be added, and it seems that there is no way to check the Content-Type in subsequent parts of the message.

Unfortunately our management requires as mandatory that the footer should be added to all messages and that the footer should be formatted in such way to be clearly visible (colors, big fonts, etc).

Any idea to solve this problem?

It would be nice if Sophos will add the capability to specify different footers (one for the HTML part and one for the Text part) while defining the policy, instead of using the same text for both parts.

Thank you in advance

Massimo Vitali

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
No Data