This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SMTP auth

Hello there,

I am looking for a solution able to do SMTP auth as UTM was able. I have many remote clients, mainly on macOS and iOS, and SMTP auth was a great help for some of them although many of my clients work have VPN. XG does not support SMTP auth so I am looking for a solution supporting it.

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • The SEA will allow you to set up smtp authentication with AD integration. 

some words of wisdom.

ANYONE with an AD account that is able to connect to the appliance from ANYWHERE will have full rights to email out to the internet.  

I would NEVER recommend enabling the feature, all clients should relay to exchange, exchange should relay to the appliance. 

for example, if a foul spammer manages to phish a password from any user, they can easily turn your appliance / internet connection into a spam relay.. this could become very bad very quickly.. ie: getting blacklisted could cause the entire world to drop your mail or worse.

keep in mind to, your macs would have to be joined to the domain and selectable via AD queries... ideally the VPN connection and relaying to your mail server --> email appliance is your best bet.. enabling direct smtp connection is really playing with fire. 

• I have set up an LDAP server and the XG is connecting to with no problem but it does not seem to change anything... I have no AD.

Thanks

• Not sure were talking about the same thing.  What are you expecting to be changed?

SMTP authentication to an email appliance will allow users to relay mail to the internet.. it does not make any changes to email or in behavior of how email is sent.   Here is a quick doc on the process.

docs.sophos.com/.../ConfigPolSMTP_Auth.html

• Excuse me ! This was not supposed to be sent here but on XG. My mistake.