This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Data Recorder Software - high CPU usage and battery drain

Hello

I'm using a laptop called Lenovo x250 at school. Sophos Data Recorder Software is using a lot of CPU usage, overheating the laptop and draining battery. What does the software do and why is that happen?

Sophos is admin locked so I can't do anything :(

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello john wills,

can't say why it uses that much resources, what it does is briefly described in SESC: Components and services.
    As the laptop is admin locked - is this your personal laptop? The screenshot suggests that it is centrally managed and whoever that is should be your primary contact.

Christian

• Hi,

I got the same problem on some of my clients. We use Sophos managed from the Sophos Central and I am the administrator of it. But every once in a while, a user comes to me to complain about the high CPU usage by the Sophos Data Recorder service. Most of the time it uses about 40% of the CPU. What can I do to find the source of the problem?

• Hello JeffreyJaspers,

you shouldn't do it "on your own" (how best to monitor a monitor?) instead please contact Support directly.

Christian

• Same thing here, with Sophos Central.

I ask help from French support but i'm surprised that nothing exist in sophos knowledge base about this.

• It is not my personal laptop but a work laptop, that's why it is admin locked.

This is your software so you should really do something. Sophos ALWAYS have high CPU issues in any Sophos softwares. This is annoying and it have been doing it for infinite.

• I created an incident with Sophos but so far no reaction. In the mean while, does anyone know a solution?

• Hello B�chir Ghedhoui,

i'm surprised that nothing exist in sophos knowledge base
    err, excuse me, but isn't it necessary that an issue is known (and perhaps that it has been investigated to some extent) in order to write a knowledgebase article? If it hasn't been found during testing (in which case it'd either be corrected before release or mentioned in the release notes) but only crops up in the field - how can there already be an article?

Christian

• Hello john wills,

it's not my software (I'm not Sophos). It's a work laptop as you say, as far as this device (hard- and software) is concerned the contractual relationship is between your employer and the respective vendors. Isn't the employer usually the contact when the provided equipment isn't adequate?

Although there are apparently several similar cases it might not be possible to reproduce and eventually solve the issue without some investigation on the affected systems. This in turn likely requires admin rights.

Christian

• Do not lie. You work at Sophos so STOP telling me that.

Right now i'm using a different computer called Dell Optiplex 7010. Sophos Data Recorder Software is using high CPU usage and it is happen on all teacher's computers.

I'm gonna contact my municipality about this issue. If they can't do anything, I'll ask the to switch to another anti-virus and I'll blame Sophos.

I already got tired of Sophos

• You work at Sophos

droll ... didn't know that, I'll go and check my payslip