This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I paste an Excel table into a forum table?

Have a table that I want to paste into the forum, but the default paste makes it a too-small picture.   I have not figured out how to paste it as a table, nor can I paste table cells or rows from an Excel source.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Looks like this is a combination of the slightly older version of TinyMCE (WYSIWYG) editor the community currently uses plus Chrome.  It doesn't happen in the latest version of TinyMCE.

We're working to get on the next version but it's a larger upgrade overall so it will take some months.

In the meantime options are:

• Use Firefox if available.  I understand this sounds simple but if you use Chrome for basically everything, just to open a new browser/login/paste so you can workaround it is a few extra steps.  However the issue is with Chrome so it's worth highlighting the workaround.
    • Use Chrome, and keep https://www.tinymce.com/ bookmarked/handy.  When you need to paste:
      1. Copy from Excel.
      2. Open https://www.tinymce.com/ in a new tab.
      3. Click into the demo editor somewhere, Ctrl+A (select all) and backspace to clear current content.
      4. Ctrl+V (paste).  It will paste the Excel table as a HTML table.
      5. Ctrl+A (select all), Ctrl+C (copy).
      6. Move back to your post and Ctrl+V (paste)

Second one sounds like more steps but I think it will be quicker overall.

Let me know how you get on.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Thank you!   

I finally used this approach, once I remembered that it was the method that had worked for me previously:

Create the entire post, text and tables, in Word.   The tables can be copy-and-paste content from Excel.   

Use Word to adjust columns so that the tables have a reasonable width.

Select the entire Word document and paste into the forum.  The Word tables load as forum tables.

Office versions:

I wondered if it was a difference between the versions of Office that I used.   I can confirm that the problem was consistent between Excel 2010 and Excel 2016.   I did my successful posts using Word 2016; I have not yet tested Word 2010.  Based on your information, it seems likely that the Office version is not the issue.. 

• Thank you!   

I finally used this approach, once I remembered that it was the method that had worked for me previously:

Create the entire post, text and tables, in Word.   The tables can be copy-and-paste content from Excel.   

Use Word to adjust columns so that the tables have a reasonable width.

Select the entire Word document and paste into the forum.  The Word tables load as forum tables.

Office versions:

I wondered if it was a difference between the versions of Office that I used.   I can confirm that the problem was consistent between Excel 2010 and Excel 2016.   I did my successful posts using Word 2016; I have not yet tested Word 2010.  Based on your information, it seems likely that the Office version is not the issue.. 

Children
No Data