The Sophos Community will be unavailable from 13:00 to 18:00 UTC this Saturday, October 1st for upgrades. Stay tuned to our Twitter account @SophosSupport for updates.
The following error may be displayed when installing the Sophos AutoUpdate component of Sophos Endpoint Security and Control:
Fatal error during installation. 0x80041f09 sau
The following errors will also be observed in the Event Viewer:
Type: Warning, Source MsiInstaller, Category: None, Event ID: 1015 Description: Failed to connect to server. Error 0x80004005
Type: Error, Source: MsiInstaller, Category: None, Event ID: 1014, Description: Windows Installer proxy not correctly registered.
The above errors can be encountered if the Microsoft Windows Installer installation is either incomplete, or corrupt.
First seen in Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 9.0
This error is seen for a number of reasons. Follow steps in the 'What To Do' section below.
Work through the following troubleshooting steps in the order given here:
1. Check to see if User Account Control (UAC) needs to be disabled
When UAC is enabled this error can occur, therefore disable this setting to see if the issue is resolved. For details of how to do this, refer to article 44084.
2. Ensure DNS is correctly set on the endpoint computer
Make sure the updating address (as set in AutoUpdate) can be reached from the endpoint computer. For example, if the address the computer is attempting to update from is '\\sophosServer1\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP\' ensure:
3. Check if another anti-virus or anti-malware program is installed on the computer, and if so remove it. For details of how to do this, refer to the section "Remove third-party security software" in the "Protecting computers" section of the Enterprise Console help manual or online help.
4. Check registry permissions
Before you make any changes to the registry, ensure that you read the warning about editing the registry.
The issue may be a permission issue on the following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\Windows\ Browse to this key, it should look like this:
If problems continue or you are unable to change the permissions:
5. Check NTFS permissions
Create the following folders:
Ensure that the above folders have the following permissions:
6. Reboot the computer
Once you have made the above changes run the installation again. It should complete without errors.
7. Unregister and re-register the msiexec process
This will vary slightly according to your operating system, for example:
8. Check that the event log service is running
9. Getting more help If you have worked through all the above steps, and not solved the issue, you may need additional help from Sophos Technical Support. In order to help us solve your case as quickly and effectively as possible, before you contact us, please obtain the following additional information and submit it as follows:
Jeder hier hinterlassene Kommentar wird von einem Mitarbeiter gelesen, wir antworten jedoch nicht auf spezifische technische Fragen. Wenn Sie technischen Support benötigen, posten Sie bitte eine Frage in unserer Community. Alternativ können Sie für lizenzierte Produkte auch ein Support-Ticket öffnen.