Since the 10.0.3 update around 6am this morning, every Time Machine on Big Sur 11.2.1 backup fails. The last Time Machine backup that worked was around 5:30am.
Once the backup failed because target disk could not be found, the rest of the failures had no error listed. I've rebooted the NAS and rebooted the MacBook Pro multiple times. Nothing works.
thank you for performing these tests. at this time I have a few ideas what could cause the failure. form experience, SMB volume access can be disturbed by open file handles (for example our scanning process…
my name is Frank and I'm an engineer here at Sophos and look right now into your TimeMachine issue.
especially in 10.0.3 we made improvements to not fail backups to SMB shares on NAS devices, so here are some questions:
1) what type of NAS device are you using?
2) does the error persist if you turn off 'file scanning' and/or 'ransomware detection'?
3) does a backup succeed after you remove and then re-add the backup volume in the time machine preferences?
ESG - Mac Endpoint
Here are the answers:
1. Synology DS-918+ with DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 (not the DSM 7 beta)
2. Yes. I turned off file scanning, ransomware, and then both. Nothing worked.
I just was researching this "failed to open '/Volumes/Backups of MacBookPro/.iotest', error: 5 Input/output error". Are you willing to create a temporary new share on your NAS and assign it to time machine and communicate the results of a backup attempt?
Sure, give me a moment to set it up.
It started the backup. It's at 26.43GB of 1.07TB. It's going very slowly as usual. Stay tuned.