This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Need help in Hard disk decryption.

Dear All,

Hope you all are safe and doing good.

I am working for a company that uses Sophos Safeguard Encryption. I was having an older company Laptop which needed replacement due to some hardware issues. I connected my external hard disk to the laptop and took the required backup. But, in the process my external hard disk also got encrypted. 

After I received a new laptop, which is also Sophos enabled, I tried connecting my hard disk it throws Format Disk Error when connected to the new laptop. I thought that my hard disk got corrupted or some issue with it. I checked with a data recovery company which informed me the data is Sophos encrypted and hence not accessible.

How to decrypt the hard disk to again make it accessible.

I would really appreciate someone to help me with this issue.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Sudeep Y.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Michael is correct.

The computer had a policy that had usb devices as a target. The issue comes down to what key was defined in the policy to encrypt the drive. 

Your SGN admin can tell you. 

Your new machine will need SGN installed with all the same components and your keyring will need the key used to encrypt that drive. In other words, the admin needs to assign the key to you in the Management Center. 

Richard

RichardP

Program Manager, Support Readiness | CISSP | Sophos Technical Support
    Support Videos | Product Documentation | @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.

• Michael is correct.

The computer had a policy that had usb devices as a target. The issue comes down to what key was defined in the policy to encrypt the drive. 

Your SGN admin can tell you. 

Your new machine will need SGN installed with all the same components and your keyring will need the key used to encrypt that drive. In other words, the admin needs to assign the key to you in the Management Center. 

Richard

RichardP

Program Manager, Support Readiness | CISSP | Sophos Technical Support
    Support Videos | Product Documentation | @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.

Children