This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IKEv2 or L2TP Protocol

I am a new vpn user and I have a little bit knowledge about vpn. I just confused on that L2TP and IKEv2 are use ipsec for secure the user data, so why both have used as different protocol?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I will describe the details for both. 

L2TP: The most notable characteristic of L2TP is its inability to operate alone. To offer encryption or protection for data in transit, it must be paired with IPSec.

L2TP is an extension of the PPTP protocol. It operates on a double encapsulation that includes a PPP connection on level one and an IPsec encryption on level two. While the L2TP protocol does support AES-256, stronger protocols can slow the performance.

Most desktop and mobile OSes contain L2TP, which makes implementation relatively simple. 

IKEv2: IKEv2 operates as a true protocol and controls the IPSec key exchange.

IKEv2 has the distinction of operating on non-mainstream platforms such as Linux, BlackBerry or other marginal platforms. However, it also comes with the Windows 7 operating system. Because of its ability to adapt, IKEv2 offers a consistent connection in various networks. So, if a connection drops, the IKEv2 helps the user maintain a VPN connection.

L2TP does include IPsec as a part of the VPN but it is a legacy protocol. IKEv2 is the newer one and is not yet available on the standalone devices. Hope this helps.

Regards

Jaydeep

• I will describe the details for both. 

L2TP: The most notable characteristic of L2TP is its inability to operate alone. To offer encryption or protection for data in transit, it must be paired with IPSec.

L2TP is an extension of the PPTP protocol. It operates on a double encapsulation that includes a PPP connection on level one and an IPsec encryption on level two. While the L2TP protocol does support AES-256, stronger protocols can slow the performance.

Most desktop and mobile OSes contain L2TP, which makes implementation relatively simple. 

IKEv2 has the distinction of operating on non-mainstream platforms such as Linux, BlackBerry or other marginal platforms. However, it also comes with the Windows 7 operating system. Because of its ability to adapt, IKEv2 offers a consistent connection in various networks. So, if a connection drops, the IKEv2 helps the user maintain a VPN connection.

L2TP does include IPsec as a part of the VPN but it is a legacy protocol. IKEv2 is the newer one and is not yet available on the standalone devices. Hope this helps.

Regards

Jaydeep

Children
  • Jaydeep said:

I will describe the details for both. 

Thank You Jaydeep to explain in a detailed.