pm
Occasional Visitor
pm

Autoupdate

Hello,

I have deleted sophos from a computer in our company who was still linking to an old server.

I thought I deleted everything. So I wanted to install the new one. But that didn't work because the autoupdate was still running on that computer.

I tried to delete it, tried to stop the service and tried to delete the program from safe mode.

Nothing helped.

I also can't reinstall the old sophos because that server is allready gone.

Can someone please help me on this one.

Thanks in advance.

I know it is possible there is allready a post about this topic, otherwise please send me the link. Thanks

Executive VIP
QC

Re: Autoupdate

Hello,

uninstalling Sophos shouldn't be a big problem.

Searching the knowledgebase for remove autoupdate gives a number of hits - among them Diagnosing problems when using Sophos AutoUpdate, Sophos Small Business Solutions: how to uninstall Sophos security software and Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows: removing Sophos AutoUpdate gives error message.

It's hard to give advice without any details - which version of Sophos did you try to install and what was the error? Which version was the old one? Why did uninstalling AutoUpdate supposedly fail - which error did you get? What did the logs say?

Christian

pm
Occasional Visitor
pm

Hello Christian,

Thanks for your fast respons.

So when I go to add/remove software, it uninstalls until i get following errors. Even in safe mode.

Error 25010.An error occured while running the custom action 'NoUpdateInProgress'. Contact your support Personnel.

After that one I get another one: Error 25010. An error occured while running the custom action 'WaitUntilFileUnlocked'. Contact your support personnel.

Then the uninstall loops back and the autoupdate remains on that computer.

When i look to the new server: the enterprise console is version 3.1.1.2553

I assume that it was the same version that was installed on the previous server.

I think that the autoupdate wants to contact the previous server and that's why i won't uninstall.

The only thing i want to do, is to get rid off the autoupdate. All the rest is allready deleted.

So even when I try to install the new version over the older one i get the same errors.

Thanks

Executive VIP
QC

Hello pm,

looks a little bit like a mess (although a small one). Forget safe mode, it shouldn't be necessary. Make sure all the Sophos services are stopped before trying to uninstall (perhaps check with the task manager that none of the images is still running). There are articles for error 25010. Make sure nothing's "sitting" on one of the Sophos AutoUpdate folders.

Christian

pm
Occasional Visitor
pm

Hello Christian,

I did stop the running services of sophos. I removed the Sophos folders. Still in the add/remove software page I see that the program of Sophos Autoupdate has a size off +- 8 MB. After all the services of Sophos were stopped i tried to uninstall it again.

Same result...

Are there any other possibilities besides reinstall the computer?

Thanks

Executive VIP
QC

Re: Autoupdate uninstall

Are there any other possibilities besides reinstall the computer?

Yup. Although - where do the Sophos services run from if you have removed the Sophos folders (and their contents)? Check the path to the executables for the still running Sophos services.  

Use with care (and at your own risk): Windows Installer CleanUp Utility - remove any leftover information for the Sophos products (probably only AutoUpdate). It should then be possible to install the new version. Otherwise ... (in my previous life we used to call it FUBAR).

HTH

Christian

pm
Occasional Visitor
pm

Re: Autoupdate uninstall

[ Edited ]

Allright,

Thanks, I can't check it right now. The computer that we were talking about is an portable and that user has it with him right now.

I'll check it out next week. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks