Advisor
apeeler

Windows 7 and Sophos Anti-Virus. The PC won't update and is not currently installed.

This is a Windows 7 32-bit laptop. It had Sophos version 9.5 previously loaded. I went to install version 10 and it wouldn't update. I then uninstalled the 9.5 version and installed a fresh copy of 10. Now it stops during installation and says "rolling back action" then it greys itself out and acts as if its not installed.

I read somewhere it was a permissions issue with windows 7. I changed the permissions and the laptop now runs as an administrator. This problem still occurs.

Thanks in advance!

Executive VIP
QC

Re: Windows 7 and Sophos Anti-Virus. The PC won't update and is not currently installed.

Hello apeeler,

as Sophos isn't a home user product - where did and do you install it from? It needs at least an update location - and this can't be the same for 9.5 and 10. This could be a reason for the failed updates. Also you said "went to install version 10" and "uninstalled 9.5" - did you ever install 10?
Last but not least - are you administering Sophos for your site? If not, you should turn to your local support personell first.

Christian
Advisor
apeeler

Re: Windows 7 and Sophos Anti-Virus. The PC won't update and is not currently installed.

I forgot to say this is a company laptop on a network of about 1,000 devices. It updates to our server at the office and its secondary loction is from sophos. I am the administrator. My co-worker installed 10 but i dont think it ever fully installed. It was sent out into the field and i was called because of the red X. After looking into i dont think it ever had a fully functioning version of 10 installed.

Executive VIP
QC

I see. Still the question, how was this update attempted? Usually you either upgrade the CID or direct the client to a CID with the appropriate subscription. One possible cause is registry corruption - usually in this case there is an error in the CustomActions log. If installing 10 fails you could try to get 9.5 working again - if this also fails there's a good chance that the registry permissions got corrupted.

Christian