Occasional Visitor
germmy

Re: Intermittent freezing on Windows 7

We are having the same issue here. We are starting to roll out Windows7 machiens and it only affects those machines. Even at that, it's not all the machines. Our firewall is disabled.

We have one user testing this possible solution out for us:

Delete this key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs
Change the value of this key from 1 to 0: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LoadAppInit_DLLs

It's been a week and she hasn't complained about IE freezing up on her. She was one of the main ones where it would freeze daily.

We are just wondering what the repercussions are of doing this action. Anyone know?

Regular Visitor
APNick

We've had to do the same in our enviroment.

I've removed the Sophos DLL from the AppInit as well as set the AppIni back to 0. This turns off the BOPS DLL (all application data is still routed through this DLL even if the feature is off).

In addition, I've upgraded our clients to the latest version of Sophos 9.5 and added the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sophos\SAVService\SetupOptions]
"DetourDLLState"="excluded"

This prevents the Sophos DLL from being readded to the AppInit line during a program update.

The BOPS feature is just a complete nightmare that will cause you many headaches. Turning off the feature has cured most of our freezing issues.

Visitor
TrevorPrinn

I seem to have managed to fix the problems I have had with Sophos freezing up while booting or updating. The event log was showing all sorts of errors with accessing the drive on the PC, but there didn't appear to be any problem with the drive that I could pin down.

It's a long story, but I've managed to fix this, and a number of other strange and apparently unrelated problems, simply by unplugging my NAS from my router and instead plugging it into a switch daisychained from the router. It seems there is a longstanding hardware problem somewhere on my network, that has been causing all sorts of intermittent problems.