Occasional Advisor
CSNoc
Accepted Solution

Got english version of Sophos, but messages are shown in German (on Dutch localization)

We've got sophos for a while now, but I'm finally getting fed up with the clients reporting back to the enterprise console in German. I've tried searching for a way to resolve this and let the clients report back in English, but nothing came up. Does anybody here have an idea?
Executive VIP
QC

Re: Got english version of Sophos, but messages are shown in German (on Dutch localization)

Hello CSNoc,

clients are not reporting in a specific language, it's the console's UI which uses a specific language for display dependent on the Region(al) and Language settings (Regional Options or Formats) in effect when the GUI is started. For an unsupported locale (like Dutch) it should select English though.

Christian   

Occasional Advisor
CSNoc

Re: Got english version of Sophos, but messages are shown in German (on Dutch localization)

well, the rest of the GUI is in English (File, view, edit, etc and "Last Updated on dinsdag 8 november") only the client messages are in German.
Executive VIP
QC

Hm, I might have a mental block - what do you mean by client messages?

Christian

Occasional Advisor
CSNoc

For example, when a client has problems opening a file for scheduled scanning, it reports it back to the enterprise console.

When viewing this client's  "computer details" or when choosing to resolve the errors/alerts the messages appear in German.

Executive VIP
QC

Thanks for clarification.

Now, the view should be consistent: If your locale is English all localizable strings in menus, descriptions and so on as well as messages should be in English - whether on the main SEC window, the computer details, event viewer and so on. The strings are in the RsXxx.dlls in the \Sophos\Enterprise Console directory. Not that I don't believe you but could you post a screenshot of the "language mix"?

You should probably give Support a call to let them have a look at the settings in effect.

Christian

Occasional Advisor
CSNoc

I've got no location to upload the photo to.

since it is part of the security  suite, i don't like uploading the image to a random photobucket account or so..

A part of the screen says:

Outstanding alerts and errors

Sophos Anti-Virus status

Date/time                             Code                          Description

8-11-2011 11:42:08           2028000c                 Scan 'test' abgebrochen. 

Frequent Advisor
Placebo

I can confirm this behavior. I have seen this behavior from Sophos v7 and up, maybe even earlier.

I mostly notice it in the Event Viewer. Here is an example of an Event on a English Sophos 9.7.6 on a Dutch XP SP3:

Type gebeurtenis:    Fout
Bron van gebeurtenis:    Sophos Anti-Virus
Categorie van gebeurtenis:    Geen
Gebeurtenis-ID:    1
Datum:        19-10-2011
Tijd:        15:09:56
Gebruiker:        n.v.t.
Computer:    xxxxxxx
Beschrijving:
Es sind keine Versionen der Komponente 'DataControlManager' registriert. DataControlManager kann nicht ausgegeben werden.

Its all in Dutch except the description (Beschrijving). It in German.

Executive VIP
QC

Thanks - quite interesting and obscure, it definitely should not look like this. Can't reproduce it - but my base OS (XP) is English. As Placebo has seen it too (did I understand correctly that it's a localized build of XP?) it's obviously not a local problem. You (both) should take this to Support please.

Christian

Occasional Advisor
CSNoc

[ Edited ]

ok, done that.

I'll post the solution here when it's resolved.