Visitor
brandondarling
Accepted Solution

0x80041f09 Error on Setup

I have one workstation that will not install Sophos.  It is Windows XP Pro 32bit, all current patches, and we JUST uninstalled Sunbelt VIPRE security.  

I start the install, and part way through, it backs off the install and throws error 0x80041f09 - contact network admin (me).

I have tried all the KB articles from sophos, including checking registry permissions, rebooting, re-registering MSInstaller (per sophos AND microsoft instructions), checked credentials, logged on a network AND local admin to run the install - all to no avail.

I have scoured the registry and deleted any keys the reference sophos.  I've rebooted many times, tried as multiple users (with admin rights) to install this.  Checked the system and application logs in windows and all I get are "inspecific installer errors" that lead nowhere.

Any help?

sandy

Re: 0x80041f09 Error on Setup

Hi free4all,

I'd suggest you log a support call on this issue as it could be pretty complex.

When you reach a solution, it would be great if you could let us know how it was resolved.

Good luck,

Sandy

Sandy.

Communities Moderator, Sophos
Knowledgebase  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
If a post solves your question use the Accept as Solution button and award kudos.
Occasional Visitor
Archi

I have the same problem. Did you find any solution?

sandy

Hi Archi and welcome to the forum.

It was several months back that Brandondarling posted the original question, so I can only suggest that you too log a call with support-and please do please get back on the forum and let us know how it was resolved :smileyhappy:

Sandy.

Communities Moderator, Sophos
Knowledgebase  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
If a post solves your question use the Accept as Solution button and award kudos.
Visitor
Xenomes

Solution for 0x80041f09

Open Regedit

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

Select permissions...   ->   Advanced

Remove all "deny" types.

close regedit

Do update again.

Occasional Visitor
BillREy

Re: Solution for 0x80041f09

I am having the same issue on a Win 2003 server standard edition.  I tried the solutions that have been documented, there were no denial in the registry keys.  I have install a new verison of MSIEXEC, but so far nothing is working.  Any more ideas. 

Executive VIP
jak

Re: Solution for 0x80041f09

HI,

Have you identified the package that has failed to install?  From that we can check the relevant install log.

Presumably it's the Anti-Virus package as opposed to AutoUpdate, the Firewall or RMS?

If it's the Anti-Virus package (the most likely): what does the MSI log and custom action log say for the SAV install?

If AutoUpdate attempted to install SAV (as it would typically on a managed install) it will create the logs in:

%windir%\temp\

They will be called:

Sophos Anti-Virus Install Log_<timestamp>.txt

Sophos Anti-Virus CustomActions Log_<matchingtimestamptothatabove>.txt

It keep a history of 4 so I tend to sort by "Date modified" to quickly find the latest.

N.B. If you have run the install of SAV as the logged on user, as would be the case if you ran the standalone installer of SAV or just ran the MSI, they would be in:

%temp%

I would start by opening up the log file:

Sophos Anti-Virus Install Log_<timestamp>.txt

If it says that it failed at the bottom of the file, then search up for:

return value 3

This will help identify what the installer was trying to do and what might have failed.  Maybe you could post the lines around the failure line and check the customer action log around the same time.

Finding the line in the install log file that details the problem is the first step.

Hope this helps,

Jak

Occasional Visitor
w3solutions

Hi,

Found out that this error occurs when windows updates or other MSI packages are being installed on the background. The Windows Installer is not available on that moment and thus your SAV setup fails.

Check Task manager to verify whether msiexec or something else is active and eventually reboot the system or stop automatic updates.

rgds

Tom